Sr. Manager R&D (Materials, Testing and Computational Modeling)
February 8th, 2018
HLT, Inc. is a clinical-trial stage company founded in Minnesota in 2002. We manufacture a transcatheter heart valve system, consisting of a catheter-based delivery system and heart valve, to treat aortic valve disease. The procedure is performed by an interventional cardiologist / cardiac surgeon in a cardiac catheterization laboratory, and is expected to be both less invasive and less costly than an open heart valve replacement procedure. The company currently employs approximately 100 people in Maple Grove, Minnesota.
In 2010 HLT was acquired by The Bracco Group, an international company active in the healthcare sector through Bracco Imaging. The group employs more than 3,300 employees worldwide and has annual total consolidated revenues of more than $1 billion.
HLT seeks passionate and talented people who can start contributing from day one. We want innovators seeking to advance the state of the art to improve patient outcomes.
We are a fast paced, fail fast R&D organization that is dedicated to providing the best TAVR solution to the market. Our technology is a unique Nitinol based design and it is addressing major unmet needs in the market. As a result we are looking for a high impact, self-starter, agile individual who values creativity, learning and data above all else. Our current need is for a leader to join our team. You are the right person if you have existing knowledge/training to bring metals development expertise into our team, are looking forward to empowering us with rapid data generation on design options as well as identifying test strategies to qualify products before release by leading a team of test engineers and are excited about utilizing novel computational modeling techniques to generate data and enable iteration of designs faster than any other organization.
If you are looking forward to making a big contribution to a dedication team of fast moving R&D professionals in this massive TAVR market with the most excited product out there, we are looking forward to meeting you.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Materials development – Metals expertise and/or training
- Create new nitinol selection and treatment processes to meet HLT valve design objectives
- Identify and develop new materials development capabilities including internal investments, partnering with institutions and external vendors
Testing strategy / test method development
- Manage team of engineers and technicians to ensure completion of programs on time and within budget, including personnel allocation and prioritization
- Planning, reporting and execution of test activities
- Develop computational modeling strategies that enable rapid product development and rapid learning
- Manage a team of computational modeling experts including outside vendors
- Responsible for performance reviews, scheduling of resources and establishing goals and objectives for subordinates
- Develop a high performing Team capable of effectively leading new product development
- Develop staff capabilities by upgrading employee skills and fostering a work environment that encourages team work, rewards results, and delivers speed-to-market solutions.
- Mentor and develop personnel; provide continuous performance feedback, and conduct all required performance planning, assessment and review activities
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline
- 10+ years of experience in the medical device field with product development, testing, test lab management
- 5+ years of people leadership experience
- 5+ years of metallurgical experience
- Characterization and materials development – porcine/bovine tissue experience is beneficial
- Strong background in materials development – metals expertise and/or training
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision-making skills
- Masters or PhD in metals
- Experience with catheter-based implantable devices
- Experience with Class III implantable device development, specifically prosthetic heart valves
- Experience managing/supervising a staff of 2 or more engineers/technicians
Travel requirements are limited. Total travel expected to be less than 10%.
For further information about this position, click here http://bit.ly/2nJm04R